Monday, January 25, 2010

Who are the People in Your State Library Resource Center


Meet Doug Skeen!
Library Associate
Enoch Pratt Free Library/State Library Resource Center


What do you do?
In addition to working on the telephones, answering Maryland AUN! chat, assisting walk-in customers at the Information Desk and the Public Computer Center, I do all the daily and weekly schedules for 21 full and part-time staff. Also I run the State Library Resource Center Tour that occurs twice a year in May and November. Finally, on an infrequent basis I assist the librarian at the Regional Information Center of the Baltimore Metropolitan Council. This off-site facility is staffed by the Pratt Library.

How did you get here?
I obtained my first library card when I was six at the Govans Branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library. Fifty six years later I am still a card carrying member of the Pratt. Also for the last twenty six years I have been a full time staff member as well. Guess you could say that the library has in one way or another, been a part of most of my life.

What's your favorite thing about your job?
The variety and the challenges; I never get bored!

What's a book that you didn't expect to like - but did?
Harry Potter. Mostly I read non-fiction, though I do enjoy a well written mystery, particularly the works of P.D. James.

What is your favorite SLRC program, service or training?
That's easy to answer: the SLRC Tour! It's great to be a part of an event that brings together librarians from all over the State of Maryland.

What do you do when your're not reading?
I play the 'cello and I draw and paint. Music and art have been, are and will remain my passions. Bach and Bruegel rock!

No comments: