Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Who are the People in Your State Library Resource Center


Meet Rebecca Sullivan!

Job & Career Information Center Manager

Enoch Pratt Free Library/State Library Resource Center



What do you do?
I am the Job & Career Information Center manager and the assistant manager of the Business, Science & Technology Department (BST). I work as a librarian in BST answering questions about all sorts of topics. I also teach classes and trainings on job related topics – job searching, interviewing, and resume writing. I’m also fortunate to be able to do outreach through the Job & Career Information Center to community groups that are interested in tours and classes.

How did you get here?
I finished my MLIS at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and was looking for a job. A friend from library school was working at the Pratt Library and suggested that I might apply for a job here. I ended up moving out to Maryland and have been here ever since!

What’s your favorite thing about your job?
My favorite part about being a librarian is helping people find answers to their questions. It is a lot of fun, especially when the question requires some detective work. I also really love teaching classes about job searching. Teaching people skills that can help them get a job is really rewarding.

What’s a book that you didn’t expect to like – but did?
Wisconsin Death Trip by Michael Lesy. It’s an interesting book that combines photographs and newspaper text from Black River Falls, Wisconsin from 1890-1910. The images can be really creepy – including children in coffins – but it is a really fascinating read.

What is your favorite SLRC program, service, or training?
I really like the LATI Blog – and not just because I’m the editor of it! I think it’s a great resource for finding new ways to answer customer questions. I definitely learn a lot when I read the answers that are sent to me.

What do you do when you’re not reading?
During the spring and summer I like to run and bike outside. I also love camping and traveling. I’m hoping to visit all 50 states eventually!

No comments: