Monday, June 21, 2010

Who are the People in Your State Library Resource Center


Meet Julie Strange!
Statewide Coordinator, Maryland AskUsNow!

What do you do?
I am the Statewide Coordinator for Maryland AskUsNow!, Maryland’s online information service. We’re available 24/7 to Marylanders for all their information needs. Being Statewide Coordinator means that I manage the grant that we’re funding by, coordinate and train librarians around the state, am in charge of new partnerships and marketing initiatives and have my hands in customer relationship management, system troubleshooting, our online presences and social media planning. In general, I make sure that our librarians get what they need so that our customers can get what they want.

How did you get here?
I’ve always had an interest in learning but while knee-deep in the research for my undergraduate thesis (on interpersonal communication & computer mediated communication) someone suggested I go to library school. I didn’t know what I’d be getting into, but I knew that I wanted to continue my schooling so I went off to Rutgers to earn my MLIS. It was there that I met Dr. Marie Radford, a key player in virtual reference and reference excellence research and practice. Once I began working on her grant-funded research project on interpersonal communication within virtual reference interactions, I fell in love with virtual reference and the rest is history. From there, I came down to Maryland to work with Joe Thompson on AskUsNow! in November 2006.

What’s your favorite thing about your job?
What isn’t to love? I get to help customers get the information they need when they need it, meet so many amazing library professionals all across the state, and get involved with many statewide projects (like LATI and VisionQuest). In addition, I’ve had the opportunity to travel the country and expand my network- there are so many amazing people out there doing such amazing things- both inside and outside of library land.

My favorite thing, though, is probably the fact that I get to do so many different things and wear so many different hats- it’s always exciting!

What’s a book that you didn’t expect to like – but did?
That’s a trick question. I don’t read books I don’t think I’m going to like! :-) Though, since I usually tend to read non-fiction I’m always pleasantly surprised when I can really get into and enjoy a work of fiction!

What is your favorite SLRC program, service, or training?
I appreciate all that SLRC offers to our Maryland Library Community- the trainings, resources, collections, tours, and programs. I have a special place in my heart, though, for LATI- especially since I am involved in it for 2010!

What do you do when you’re not reading?
When I’m not running AskUsNow! or reading, art is a huge part of who I am- design, painting, film & music included. Traveling is also something I love- I am slowly marking all the states off my list, but also have a handful more countries I want to explore. I love being outside- kayaking, being at the beach, enjoying the world. But I never know what things the world will bring, so I will usually try anything at least once.

No comments: