Monday, December 21, 2009

Who are the People in Your State Library Resource Center

Meet Andrea Snyder!
Grants Collection Manager
Enoch Pratt Free Library/State Library Resource Center


What do you do?
I’m the assistant manager of the Social Science and History Department and the manager of the Grants Collection, which is a nonprofit resource center. I coordinate and teach a series of classes for nonprofits on fundraising and management issues both at the library and around the state.

How did you get here?
I had an epiphany my sophomore year of college that I wanted to be a librarian. It didn’t come completely out of the blue as I’d always been involved with various libraries but I had never thought about it as a career choice before then. Right after completing my MLS at the University of Buffalo I moved here to Baltimore to start working at Pratt. 6 years later I’m still here and loving it!

What’s your favorite thing about your job?
I love the daily interactions I have with people. It makes my day watching a smile light up a customers face when they have the “a ha” moment.

What’s a book that you didn’t expect to like – but did?
Maus by Art Spiegelman was my first venture into graphic novels. I’ll admit that I went in with some preconceived notions about graphic novels but they were completely gone by the time I was finished.

What is your favorite SLRC program, service, or training?
I love that we take our trainings and programs on the road to libraries all over the state.
It’s great to be able to go out and actually meet the library staff around the state that you’ve been speaking to via e-mail & on the phone. I also learn a lot from the other libraries when I’m “out on the road” to bring back here to Pratt.

What do you do when you’re not reading?
Music is a big part of my life. I’m in a handbell choir and also play the violin. If I’m not doing something music you might find me watching a hockey game or plotting my next road trip to visit friends.

No comments: