Monday, August 23, 2010

Who are the People in Your State Library Resource Center

Meet Emma Beaven!
Resource Sharing Supervisor
Maryland Interlibrary Loan Organization (MILO)

What do you do?
I manage the MILO (Maryland Interlibrary Loan Organization) office which includes transshipping. I help coordinate Marina for the state of Maryland and my department also handles non-Marina network interlibrary loans for Pratt patrons as well as the patrons of many counties in Maryland. I provide training for Marina and am currently working with testing groups for the URSA upgrade.

How did you get here?
Previously I worked at McKeldin Library at the University of Maryland College Park. I worked in the interlibrary loan department on the lending side. I was anxious to have a more challenging job so one day my boss handed me an ad from the ILL listserv for my current position.

What’s your favorite thing about your job?
My favorite part of the job is getting material that is difficult and challenging to find. I feel a sense of accomplishment when the material actually comes in and some or our patrons get very excited when they get what they’re looking for.

What’s a book that you didn’t expect to like – but did?
Let’s see. I’ve recently been reading Bowing to Necessity: a history of manners in America, 1620-1860. I was reading it for research purposes but found it incredibly engrossing. It gives wonderful glimpses of life in early America and the way in which behavioral norms have been reflective of the ever changing class structure in this country.

What is your favorite SLRC program, service, or training?
Marina training, of course!

What do you do when you’re not reading?
I write, play computer games and cook.

No comments: